34.1042, Qs: Seeking Chain-shifts and splits/transphonologizations

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 28 00:05:05 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-1042. Tue Mar 28 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.1042, Qs: Seeking Chain-shifts and splits/transphonologizations

Moderator: Malgorzata E. Cavar, Francis Tyers (linguist at linguistlist.org)
Managing Editor: Lauren Perkins
Team: Helen Aristar-Dry, Steven Franks, Everett Green, Joshua Sims, Daniel Swanson, Matthew Fort, Maria Lucero Guillen Puon, Zackary Leech, Lynzie Coburn

From: Andrew Wedel [wedel at arizona.edu]

I'm looking for examples of diachronically recent (within the last few
centuries) changes to the system of phoneme contrasts in any
language/dialect, particularly those that maintain lexical contrasts -
examples of these are chain shifts in vowel or consonant systems, or
transphonologizations like development of tone in parallel with loss
of a voicing contrast as is happening in Korean. In order to analyze
these, I need a corresponding large word list, as one can extract from
a corpus. As a consequence, understudied languages currently without
these resources will have to wait.
I'm interested in phoneme mergers as well, so if you know a
language/dialect with a phoneme merger, let me know. I already have
data on English, German, Turkish, Korean, Hong Kong Cantonese, Dutch,
French, Spanish - but if you know of a less well-described change in
any of these languages/dialects that I might have missed, I'd be very
interested in that as well. To get an idea of my work with these
phenomena, see Wedel, Kaplan & Jackson, 2013, Cognition 128: 179-186.
Thank you to any who can help out with my search!

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology

American Dialect Society/Duke University Press http://dukeupress.edu

Bloomsbury Publishing (formerly The Continuum International Publishing Group) http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/

Brill http://www.brill.com