Q: Controlled languages (+R:)

Pierre Zweigenbaum pz at biomath.jussieu.fr
Tue Apr 13 11:53:06 UTC 1999

    1/Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 20:57:05 +0200
    From: Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>
    Subject: Q: Definitions of controlled languages
    2/Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 21:06:30 +0200
    From: Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>
    Subject: Q: Percentages - Controlled Language documents/presentations
    3/Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:28:11 +0200
    From: Pim van der Eijk <pim.vander.eijk at capgemini.nl>
    Subject: Re: definitions of controlled languages

1/Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 20:57:05 +0200
From: Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>

I am particularly interested in compiling a list of definitions
of the terms "Controlled Language" and "Sub-language".   Since there
are potentially different interpretations of these terms, I invite replies
from people of different fields of interest.

I would appreciate your replies on how you would
define these terms.

Please send replies to me directly at <jeff at elda.fr>

A summary of responses will be posted later.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Allen
<jeff at elda.fr>

Jeff ALLEN - Directeur Technique
European Language Resources Association (ELRA)  &
European Language resources Distribution Agency (ELDA)
(Agence Européenne de Distribution des Ressources Linguistiques)
55, rue Brillat-Savarin
75013   Paris   FRANCE
Tel: (+33) 1.43.13.33.33 - Fax: (+33) 1.43.13.33.30
mailto:jeff at elda.fr
http://www.icp.grenet.fr/ELRA/home.html

2/Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 21:06:30 +0200
From: Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>

This is a short survey:
I would like to know in which languages different articles,
papers, theses, dissertations, have been
written/presented on the subject of Controlled
Languages / Sublanguages.

Please provide the following general information in replies:

1. language name(s) in which the information on Controlled
Languages / Sublanguages has been conveyed;

2. the _approximate_ percentage of documents/presentations
on Controlled Languages/Sublanguages that you have read/
heard in this/(each of these) language(s);

3. please differentiate between documents/presentations that
are publicly accessible (published, available on the Internet)
and those that are not (e.g., internal company documents,
company meetings).  No details are necessary, just
approximate percentages.

For example:

Publicly available:
Language X: 50%
Language Y: 20%
Language Z: 30%

Not publicly available:
Language X: 75%
Language Y: 25%

If you wish to indicate the _approximate_ number
of reports/papers/presentation per  public and
non-public categories, it would be greatly
appreciated but is not necessary.

Please send replies to me directly at <jeff at elda.fr>

Many thanks in advance.

mailto:jeff at elda.fr