"Names" [E/Ap] LOWLANDS-L, 13.AUG.1999 (01)

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 06:04:46 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.AUG.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Richard L Turner <fr.andreas at juno.com>
Subject: "Names"

Hey Ar!

Ye've writ back an forth about Robin Hood, an how his name's said on the
two saads o the ocean. He don't show up, fer's Aa know, in much o
folklore round hyer ceptin in a sayin. "Robin Hood's barn" is the long
way round te anywhar or te any pynt at ye'd come to a-talkin. Hit shore
enough is said as a compound name, all in a rush, like, jest the same ais
ol Santy Claus'. Cuid may be at Miz Tarbet know's bettern me about some
ol Robin Hood songs a-haadin out hyer in the laurel hells.

Didn't nobaady read Pyle's books ais childer? He writ raat wail abouten
him an King Arthur an whatall, an in at old an mighty style.

Ais fer Netherlander names, they done mostly changed te compoundit forms,
sech ais Vanderpool. They was some DeBords at Aa was raised up with an
some Turpins, too, but they's not much a baady cuid do te wreck them
names much. O course, terrapin is pernounst the same as Turpin hyer.

Bless yir haurts.
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.

From: Sandy Fleming <fleimin at demon.co.uk>

Hey ar, Richard!

One instance of Robin Hood in Appalachian folk culture crops up in Richard
Chase's "American Folk Tales and Songs". It's "The Ballad of Bold Robin
Hood" and starts (the first verse makes no sense to me!):

Bold Robin Hood one morning stood
with his back against a tree
and he was aware of a fine young man
as fine as fine could be.

Bold Robin put out to Nottinghame Town
as fast as he could ride,
but who should he meet but a poor old woman
as she came weeping by.

I suppose this isn't particularly Appalachian, though Chase has a strong
bias towards Appalachian culture even in this supposedly general American
book. He says this one comes from North Carolina, and that other Robin Hood
ballads are sung in Virgiania, Nebraska, Maine, Nova Scotia, Vermont and
Florida. In this book there is also a story from Virginia called "The King
and Robert Hood's Horny Beast-es". It's vaguely remeniscent of the English
story with the king challenging "Robert" to demonstrate his shooting skills.

Sandy Fleming
http:\\www.fleimin.demon.co.uk

From: Jan Ter Ellen <Jan at spherical-group.demon.co.uk>

Elsie Zinsser wrote:

> Haai, Laaglanders!
>
> John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk
>
> Possibly unrelated to the above: My sister had great difficulties to
> make people in the USA (from San Fransisco to Chicago and now in
> Providence) to understand the idea of a two-part surname like _Van
> Niekerk_. To most it's simply _Vanikirk_!  Surely the Van Gogh, Van
> Buuren or Van Wyck-concepts are not too foreign? Or is it?

        A couple of years ago, I met in the USA in a business meeting a
gentleman, who introduced himself as John Fro-GIN-de-wee, with stress on
GIN.  Later on he gave me his business card, which said John
Vroegindewey.  Naturally, that is the not very unusual Dutch name "Vroeg
in de Wei", spelled in 4 words.  When I told him that his name actually
meant "early in the meadow", supposedly for the farmer who went out
early to milk his cows, he was rather embarrassed.   My own surname is
"ter Ellen".  In the Netherlands it's listed under the letter E in the
telephone directory.  Not so in America.  It was one word and listed
under the letter T.

        Jan ter Ellen