LL-L: "Afrikaans" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 19.AUG.1999 (01)

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 06:28:30 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Bob Theil [gavilan at nbnet.nb.ca]
Subject: Afrikaans

Ron wrote:

>Lately I have been surveying American bookstores and book catalogs and
>discovered that there are very few Afrikaans textbooks and
>dictionaries. >out."  Does any of you have more insight than I do?  Can you
explain?

I've had the same experience with Afrikaans textbooks, although back in
the 70's I did find the small Coetzee Woordeboek in a California
bookstore.

Last year, however,  on the Internet, using either amazon, chapters or
schoenhoff.com, I was able to purchase the newer _Teach Yourself
Afrikaans_ (H. van Schalkwyk), _Painless Afrikaans_ (G. Holloway) and
_Tweetalige Skool-Woordeboek_ (Bosman, Van der Merwe and Barnes).  The
older Teach Yourself by Burgers had been on my shelves for many years.

Unfortunately for those of us in North American (said with a smile), the
authors are all seemingly British and expect all speakers of English to
know British or Scottish phonemes. They unanimously tell us that
Afrikaans 'ee' is like the Eng 'deer' and that Afrikaans 'oo' is like Eng
'moor' and then we read that Afrikaans 'ie' is like Eng 'breed'.  One
also tells us that the Afrikaans 'short a' is like Scottish 'man'.  At
least they don't ask us to know the sounds found in the southern half of
Yorkshire as I've seen in other books.

For me 'deer' can be either /diyr/ or /dir/, using Trager-Smith.  At
least I know that Afrikaans 'ee' and 'oo' are not the same as in Dutch.
Are there any speakers of Afrikaans out there who can explain this to me?
 Also from what I read, I think that Afrikaans 'i' is a schwa, right?

-Bob

        -+-  Bob Thiel  -+-
        gavilan at nbnet.nb.ca
    Translator: Spanish to English