LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 02.DEC.1999 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 23:58:37 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.DEC.1999 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject:  LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 02.DEC.1999 (01) [E/LS]

> From: Reuben Epp [repp at silk.net]
> Subject:  LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 01.DEC.1999 (02) [E/LS]
>         1. Kapitel
>
> "Wenn wi as Jungs in uns Nabers Appelboom smeeten, un de Steen
> vörbiflog in Nabers Ruden, war hei eigentlek nich hen sull; wenn wi
> denn naderhand ganz gehörig versohlt wurren van de Nabers sülvst
>  of van uns Vaders, denn säd wi: "Dat harr wi uns anners docht!"

Here comes the translation by J. Poortman

Azze wij as jonges in oeze noaber zien appelbomen bongelden en as de stien
bij hum deur de roeten vleugen, waar hij einluk niet hen mus, dan zèèw
later, aw van de noaber zöls of van oeze vaars flink wat op de ribben
kregen: "Det harre wij oes aanders edacht."

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: R. F Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject:  Language varieties

Reuben and Roger,

Thanks a lot for giving us an opportunity to compare the original in "German"
Low Saxon (Low German) and Netherlands Low Saxon (which dialect?).

Below please find my tentative attempt at transliterating the original in a
Dutch-type orthography and the translation in a German-type orthography,
because we have to be mindful of orthography "dramatizing" the differences.

Best regards,

Reinhard/Ron
***

Original (Western North Saxon, Germany):

Wenn wi as Jungs in uns Nabers Appelboom smeeten, un de Steen
vörbiflog in Nabers Ruden, war hei eigentlek nich hen sull; wenn wi
denn naderhand ganz gehörig versohlt wurren van de Nabers sülvst
of van uns Vaders, denn säd wi: "Dat harr wi uns anners docht!"

The same in a Dutch-based system:

Wen wie as joengs in oens noabers appelboumen smeiten, oen de stein
veur bie vloug in naobers roeden, waor hai aigentlek nich hen zoel; wen wie
den naoderhand gans geheurig verzoold woerren van de naobers zulvst
of van uns vaoders, den zèèd wie: "Dat har wie oens anners docht!"

Translation ({dialect?} of Low Saxon, Netherlands):

Azze wij as jonges in oeze noaber zien appelbomen bongelden en as de stien
bij hum deur de roeten vleugen, waar hij einluk niet hen mus, dan zèèw
later, aw van de noaber zöls of van oeze vaars flink wat op de ribben
kregen: "Det harre wij oes aanders edacht."

The same in a German-based system:

Asse we as Jonges in use Naber sien Appelbomen bongelden en as de Stien
bee hüm döör de Ruten flögen, waar he eenlük niet hen möss, dann sää w'
later, aw van de Naber söls of van use Vaars flink wat op de Ribben
kregen: "Det harre we us anders edacht."

English translation (R. F. Hahn):

When we as boys would throw [rocks] into our neighbors' appletrees and one of
the rocks would miss and would end up in a neighbor's window pane, where it
wasn't really supposed to be, when afterwards we'd get a good hiding from the
neighbors themselves or from our fathers, then we used to say, "That's not the
way it was supposed to go."