LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 03.DEC.1999 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 16:23:33 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.DEC.1999 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Anja Meyfarth [AMeyfarth at t-online.de]
Subject:  LL-L: "Low Saxon" LOWLANDS-L, 23.NOV.1999 (04) [E]

Hi folks!

I wrote:

>> Other dialect groups are "Westfälisch" (Westphalian in Westphalia) and
>> "Ostfälisch" (Eastphalian in the south of the country Low Saxon). So
talking of
>> "Niedersächsisch" would cause some trouble because people might think,
Westphalia
>> and Eastphalia were excluded.

And Ron commented:

> In what way would this be confusing?  Because of the state of Lower Saxony
> (Niedersachsen)?  Then how come the dialects of Hamborg/Hamburg, Bremen and,

> most importantly, Sleswig-Holsteen/Schleswig-Holstein are included in this
> group?  Are the dialects of Westphalia, Eastphalia and the eastern regions
not
> also descendants of the same language, Old Saxon?

Of course they are. But speaking of "Niedersächsisch" in front of linguists in

Germany would make them think a) you`re talking about "Nordniedersächsisch" or

b) about the Low Saxon dialects in the Netherlands, not of Low Saxon in a
whole.
It`s simply because they are used to it!

That`s all folks!

Anja