LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 13.DEC.1999 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 16:35:49 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.DEC.1999 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: $ Elsie Zinsser [ezinsser at simpross.co.za]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 12.DEC.1999 (05) [E]

Haai almal!

Ron wrote regarding supposed Slavic loans that "Mennonite Low Saxon
(Plautdietsch) _Baulj_ 'laundry basin/tub'.  Quiring* assumed that
Plautdietsch and related "Low Prussian"dialects had derived it from
Polish _balia_ of the same meaning.  While this is definitely a
possibility, both geographically and phonologically, it may just as well
be that Plautdietsch and the "Low Prussian" dialects of Northern Poland
had this word already as a part of the vocabulary they had inherited
from the western dialects."

It relates to the Afrikaans _balie_ (_wasbalie; waterbalie;
beskuitbalie; voerbalie_).
I assume we got it from Dutch?

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

From: Carl Johan Petersson [Carl_Johan.Petersson at Nordiska.uu.se]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 12.DEC.1999 (03) [D/E]

Ron and John wrote:

>John, you quoted De Vries:
>
>> "Waarschijnlijk uit het duits ontleend, waar sedert 1559 het woord
>> "pracher", `bedelaar' optreedt en wel te Breslau. Dat wijst op slavische
>> herkomst, vgl kleinruss [= oekraïens ?] "prochaty", `vragen, verzoeken'."
>
>Hmm ...  Are we getting somewhere now?  I still wonder.

De Vries is not the only one that assumes that this word is of Slavonic