LL-L: "Y2K" LOWLANDS-L, 13.DEC.1999 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 16:37:18 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.DEC.1999 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Y2K" LOWLANDS-L, 12.DEC.1999 (06) [E]

Ed and co.,

My understanding of it was always that the first year of our era was known
as "Annus Domini" / "The Year of Our Lord". Then the second year was known
as the "Second Year of Our Lord" and so on, which explains why there is no
year zero. It also explains how next year is the "2000th Year of Our Lord",
which would indicate the third millennium does not properly start until
2001. It also gives a lie to the German "n. Chr.", because the counting is
not actually "after Christ" but rather "of Christ".

To add to the complication, the Christian calendar actually ran from the
"immaculate conception", supposedly on 25 March. So according to that
calendar, Jesus wasn't actually born until nine months into 1AD. So his
2000th birthday wouldn't in fact be until 25 December 2001. If you see what
I mean...

Of course this whole thing is made irrelevant by the fact that historians
know King Herod died in 4BC, and in fact it is thought from Roman writing
that Jesus was probably born around September 6 or 7BC.

Best,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
"JOY - Jesus, Others, You"