LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 18.DEC.1999 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 19 00:36:53 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.DEC.1999 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: jchilders at mindex.com
Subject: Geography

Hi,

Since I've gotten a European Union map, I've gotten interested in a
bit of linguistic geography.  Ron, a while back, had was working on
how to say "Baltic Sea" (I believe it was that) in the languages
surrounding it.  I'm expanding on that, and looking for the names of
the other large "bodies" of water (some are really limbs of the same
body).  I have listed the bodies that are Lowlandic-related and the
languages that I know that are spoken on the shores of them.  I would
appreciate any translations and any input on what languages I am
missing.  I'll also list the other European bodies of water, if
people are interested.

Sea of Norway Færøese
  Icelandic
  Norwegian
  Shetlandic
  Scots
  Scots Gaelic

North Sea  Angloromani
  Danish
  Dutch
  English   North Sea
  Flemish
  East Frisian
  North Frisian
  West Frisian
  German
  Scots
  Scots Gaelic
  Walloonie

Strait of Dover English   Strait of Dover
  French
  Picard

English Channel Breton
  Cornish
  English   English Channel
  French
  Norman

Celtic Sea  Cornish
  English   Celtic Sea
  Irish Gaelic
  Welsh

St. George's Channel English   St. George's Channel
  Irish Gaelic
  Welsh

Irish Sea  English   Irish Sea
  Irish Gaelic
  Manx
  Scots
  Scots Gaelic
  Ulster-Scots

North Channel English   North Channel
  Irish Gaelic
  Scots
  Scots Gaelic
  Ulster-Scots

Strait of Gibraltar Andalucian
  English   Strait of Gibraltar
  Maghreb Arabic
  Spanish

Ron, if you could send me what you had found earlier, that would be great, too.

       Yours,
        Jason

Jason Childers
Rochester, New York
jchilders at mindex.com

WWBBD?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Names

Jason,

> Ron, if you could send me what you had found earlier, that would be great,
too.

What *I* had found?  I don't know what you mean.

By the way, is there any particular reason why you have omitted Low Saxon (Low
German) above, such as under "North Sea"?  Should you still want it, it's
_Noordsee_, and, I believe, something like _Noordzee_ or _Noordzei_ in varieties
of the Netherlands.

If you go to the various language versions of our Lowlands-L web page you will
find "North Sea" in some of the desired languages:

North Sea
  Dutch: Noordzee
  English:   North Sea
  Flemish: Noordzee (I assume)
  North Frisian
  (Which one?  Here are two:)
         Frasch: Weestsie
         Öömrang (Amrum): Nurdsia
  West Frisian (or properly "Westerlauwer Frisian"): Noardsee
  German: Nordsee
  Scots: North Sea
plus Shetlandic: Nort Sea

And as my bonus:
  Danish: Vesterhav(et) (nautically _Nordsø(en)_)
  Norwegian (Bokmål): Nordsjø(en)

>   Walloonie

The proper name for the language is "Walloon".

Best regards,

Reinhard "Ron" Hahn