LL-L: "Names" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 18.JUL.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 21:41:14 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JUL.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Joseph W. C. Carson [samizdata at earthlink.net]
Subject: Names

Hello, all!  I've been trying to find out what traditional renderings of English
first
names like John, Paul, George and Ringo, or Tom, Dick and Harry (for example)
would be in Lowlands languages generally, but in Dutch/Frisian/etc. especially.
If
anyone has this information ready at hand or can refer me to a resource that can

provide me with answers, I'd be very glad to get it.  It will help solve a
dispute of
long standing with my friends about what both sides firmly maintain to be true,
and probably with about equal measures of ignorance.  We need a ruling! -- By
the way, it was a relief to see the latest digest in my mailbox today; I feared
that
the listserver had crashed again.  It looks like we're back on track again,
after the
glitches of the transition have been ironed out, thank goodness (and thank you!)

-- Happy hunting, Joseph Carson