LL-L: "Names" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 18.JUL.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 22:59:33 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JUL.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ethan Barrett [barrett at uos.net]
Subject: Names

> From: Joseph W. C. Carson [samizdata at earthlink.net]
> Subject: Names
>
> Hello, all!  I've been trying to find out what traditional renderings of
English
> first
> names like John, Paul, George and Ringo, or Tom, Dick and Harry (for example)
> would be in Lowlands languages generally, but in Dutch/Frisian/etc.
especially.
> If
> anyone has this information ready at hand or can refer me to a resource that
can

> provide me with answers, I'd be very glad to get it.  It will help solve a
> dispute of
> long standing with my friends about what both sides firmly maintain to be
true,
> and probably with about equal measures of ignorance.  We need a ruling! -- By
> the way, it was a relief to see the latest digest in my mailbox today; I
feared
> that
> the listserver had crashed again.  It looks like we're back on track again,
> after the
> glitches of the transition have been ironed out, thank goodness (and thank
you!)

> -- Happy hunting, Joseph Carson

Joseph,

I have the answer for one of your names.  Harry is not of lowland origin, but
gaelic.  It was originally spelled "Haraigh" but was pronounced basically the
same
as the anglisized "Harry" spelling.  Be careful in your search for lowland
spellings
of English names as many are of Gaelic or Scandinavian origin.  Don't forget
that
the English are an ethnic mixture of Anglo-Saxon (lowland), Scandinavian, and
Celtic/Gaelic.  Many English names have multiple or abiguous origins.  For
example,
my last name, Barrett, which is also used as a first name.  Has several possible

origins:  Gaelic: "Bairead", Teutonic: Berwald/Berald, or Anglo-Saxon: Barat.
Sometimes it is impossible to know which of the possibilities is the original
one,
or whether there were, in fact, multiple origins or if the original name was
borrowed by neighboring peoples and the spelling/pronunciation was altered.

Good luck!
Ethan.

From: Ethan Barrett [barrett at uos.net]

All,

Does anyone know the origin of the sirname "Balnicke", pronounced as
'Baalnikee'?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  My girlfriend insists
that her last name (Balnicke) is Dutch.  I am thinking that it is a
mis-spelling of another Lowland name.  Is there another Lowland name
with a similar pronunciation or spelling?

Thanks,

Ethan Barrett