LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 23.JUL.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 14:46:27 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Lee [glent at troi.csw.net]
Subject: Etymology

Hi y'all,

I was wondering if the word "supper" (in the old South the meaning was the
for the last meal of the day) was originally a Scots word?  I know that the
word "dinner" was used for the noonday meal and was usually the main meal of
the day.  Today you hear "supper" called "dinner" and the use of "supper"
has dropped from Southern vocabulary except for fowk my parent's age and older.

Thanks
Dooglas (Doug)