LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 23.JUL.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 19:34:39 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at btinternet.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 23.JUL.1999 (01)

Doug,

"Supper" had already entered the English language by the time of the split with
Scots, around 1300, so I don't think we could properly say it was borrowed into
English from Scots.

It is probable it simply underwent a semantic shift, whereby it came to mean the
main late meal of the day in England and Wales but the last meal of the day
(whether main or not, usually taken later in the evening) in Scotland and
Ireland - this shift may be because lunch tends to be the main meal of the day
in Scotland and Ireland, but the evening meal is more important in England, tho'
there's no guarantee that was always the case. It would make sense though,
because I believe down in the West Country (i.e. SW England) usage tends to
follow that in Scotland and Ireland (so the distinction is not North vs. South
but rather Rural vs. Urban).

Ian James Parsley.
Co Down, Northern Ireland.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/1677