LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 25.JUL.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 22:22:30 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: gft [gftighe2 at home.com]
Subject: Re: LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 23.JUL.1999 (01)

> From: Lee [glent at troi.csw.net]
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Hi y'all,
>
> I was wondering if the word "supper" (in the old South the meaning was the
> for the last meal of the day) was originally a Scots word?  I know that the
> word "dinner" was used for the noonday meal and was usually the main meal of
the
> day.

Hi Fowk:

At home in Paisley "supper" was a light meal, or snack before bed.
A "fish supper", i.e. fish and chips, would be bought at about 11 p.m. after
coming
out of the movies or the Pub.

In Canada "lunch" is the mid-day meal, but a "lunch" is often served around
midnight
at the end of dance, particularly at a wedding. Historically, I think this
reflects
the needs of people who had to travel a fair distance to attend.

Also in Canada "supper" and "dinner" are nearly synonymous. The prandial time
being
between 5.00 and 8.00 pm. The former implies a more relaxed meal and is taken
earlier,  and the latter suggests formality and a specific  later time. Both can
be
eaten at home or at a restaurant.
In Scotland the meal taken at home immediately after work is "Tea", in Canada it
is
"Supper".

When I first came to Canada and would visit fowk, I was often surprised by the
question "Have you had something to eat?". Could this be a cultural antonym to
the
Scottish "You'll have had your tea then?".

I recognize much of the above is perhaps anachronistic, and that Scottish eating

styles have become more cosmopolitan:
    "Hae hen, dis yon chateaubriand come wi chips?"

regards

Gerald