LL-L: "Folk Beliefs" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 15.JUN.1999 (04)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Wed Jun 16 00:13:32 UTC 1999

From: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Folk Beliefs

> From: $ Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at simpross.co.za>
> Subject: Folk Beliefs
>
> My grandmother also covered all mirrors (also those on wardrobes)
> during thunder storms and we were forbidden to stand near windows.

Actually covering up the mirror is not (as far as I can recall)
part of my own experience. However, since several people have now
referred to it, it has set me thinking.

Still on the trail of nuggets of reality below the myth, since
I can think of no electrical efficacy related to draping a mirror
I am wondering if there's an optical clue.

I wonder if, on occasion, people have had their eyesight damaged by
seeing the reflection of a particularly intense flash in the mirror? You
might turn away from the window out of fear for the lightning, only to be
caught out by looking into the mirror ...

Or maybe, if a "trailer" does find a path through the mirror (as
described last time), having a drape intervening could protect the
eyes from the light.

Hmmm.
Ted.

Date: 15-Jun-99                                       Time: 20:52:09

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at