LL-L: "Names" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 17.JUN.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Thu Jun 17 14:41:21 UTC 1999

From: Brandsma <brandsma at twi.tudelft.nl>
Subject: Names

>Of course, Schulz is a German name, and German is not one of the main focus
>languages of Lowlands-L.  However, here is what I know:
>
>Schulz, Schultz, Scholz, Scholtz, Schulze, etc., are all derived from Old
High
>German _Scultheizzo_.  This used to denote a position: that of the elder or
>headman of a settlement.  From this has developed Modern German _Schultheiß_,
>often translated as 'bailiff', used in reference to medieval and ancient
>history.  Literally, _Scultheizzo_ denoted the person who was named as
bearing
>the guilt (_Schuld_) or to be scolded (or worse) for the supposed misdeeds of
>his settlement's inhabitants, i.e., the person responsible.  It is often
>translated as _Dorfschulze_ in Modern German.  It is therefore something of a
>Germanic equivalent of Meyer, Mayer, Meier, etc., which are related to
English
>'mayor' and come from Latin _maior_.
>
>Getting back to the Lowlands, let it be mentioned that among the Low Saxon
(Low
>German) equivalents of the family name Schulz, etc., are Schult, Scholt and
>Schulte.  (Being a Lowlands language, Low Saxon did not participate in the
>German t > ts shift.)
>
>I hope this helped.
>
>Reinhard/Ron

Another Lowlands addition:

the Old Frisian for "Scultheizzo" is "skelta" (with derounded Umlaut). It
still appears in the Old Frisian name "scelto" or "skelto", and it's
Westerlauwer Frisian descendant "skelte". The skelta was a local judge in
Old Frisian law. The Dutch cognate of Schulz is "schout", still in use as a
function name in Belgium, I believe.

Henno