LL-L: "Pronouns" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 17.JUN.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Thu Jun 17 14:42:50 UTC 1999

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at jmt.prestel.co.uk>
Subject: Pronouns

John Feather wrote:

There is also the (possibly hyper-correct) form "He saw you and I"

I was under the impression that this usage was simply wrong - it should be
'He saw you and me'. But maybe 'hyper-correct' is another way of saying
'wrong'? Of course, I'm aware of the argument that such expressions -
originating from hyper-avoidance of the more natural vernacular use of the
oblique form in compound subject pronouns - may become normalised. I've
even heard Scots speakers say things like 'He telt Liz an I' which to me
sounds absolutely ridiculous.

What you say about 'c'est moi' fits in with what Sandy was saying - I think!

John M. Tait.

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at