LL-L: "Names" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 17.JUN.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Fri Jun 18 14:33:41 UTC 1999

From: "Bryan E. Schulz" <bryans at northnet.net>
Subject: Names

> Another Lowlands addition:
>
> the Old Frisian for "Scultheizzo" is "skelta" (with derounded Umlaut). It
> still appears in the Old Frisian name "scelto" or "skelto", and it's
> Westerlauwer Frisian descendant "skelte". The skelta was a local judge in
> Old Frisian law. The Dutch cognate of Schulz is "schout", still in use as a
> function name in Belgium, I believe.
>
> Henno

Thanks Ron & Henno!

My wife teaches ESL(English as the Second Language) to the Hmong in the
school system here in our city.  We are, as a hobby, trying to help them
develop a writing system for their language as the present "Englishized"
version they use for writing is cumbersome and generally does not
reflect the words the say.  We have learned to be critical of our
language especially in cases of redundancies such as sch(school),
sc(scare)and sk(skate) or to, too and two.

Henno----what the heck is a 'derounded Umlaut'?  Is this a square
umlaut? ;.)

Regards,
Bryan