LL-L: "Appalachian" [Ap/E] LOWLANDS-L, 20.JUN.1999 (05)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Mon Jun 21 03:54:36 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JUN.1999 (04) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ethan Barrett <barrett at uos.net>
Subject: Appalachian: Inglish vs. Aynglish

Reinhard,

Bein from th' Applachens o Virginie, I went aboot readen th Applachen
part o yer webpage.  I do laak yer manner o speeken thar.  But m'
kinfolk an freeins yonder thar spake th waard "Inglish" maer laak
"Aynglish" insted.  Hit may be that foorners in hother parts o th hills
spake hit diff'rnt.  I dont' know how hit orta be, but I thought I'd
laern hit to ye.

Ethan.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
Subject: Appalachian

Ethan,

I wish I'd be able to speak and write Appalachean, and to do so that well.  No,
I did not write that version.  It was our own esteemed Richard Turner who
produced the Appalachean version and has been enlightening us about that group
of language varieties.  Fortunate for you Appalacheans out there, I have not yet
tried to dabble in your language, though our Dutch, Afrikaans and Scots speaking
friends have not been so fortunate.  Lately I've been a good boy and have been
sticking with my more familiar English, Low Saxon (Low German) and German, which
is not to say that I won't get a little frisky again sometime and start torture
other folks' tongues and ears again ...

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listservX-Mozilla-Status: 0009.org> or at