LL-L: "Pronouns" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 22.JUN.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Tue Jun 22 17:05:17 UTC 1999

From: "john feather" <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Pronouns

John

"Hyper-correction" is simply an explanation of why a particular form,
contrary to standard usage, is used by a particular speaker.

As regards usages being "wrong", how about the thought that
"mentally-unimpaired, unstressed, adult native-speakers do not make
grammatical errors"? Hyper-correction is then a manifestation of stress -
the speaker is uncomfortable in the situation and is trying to impress
someone.

Interestingly, yesterday I overheard an educated North American friend use
the form "X and I" (X being her partner) as an object form. I asked her
about this afterwards and her first response was to say "What should I have
said?". She then told me she had had problems when she was a child because
her mother was from New Zealand and she had to "relearn" English to fit in
with American schoolchildren. I wondered if "X and I" might in her case be a
relic of Antipodean English.

John
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk