LL-L: "Resources (Scots)" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 29.JUN.1999 (07)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 17:59:49 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUN.1999 (07) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Johannes Reese [reesej at uni-muenster.de]
Subject: Resources (Scots)

Cool! Where can I get it? Sure it can be used be non-Scots as well,
can't it?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Johannes wrote:

Cool! Where can I get it? Sure it can be used be non-Scots as well,
can't it?

> A Scots Grammar, Scots Grammar and Usage, David Purves,
> 1998. ISBN 0-85411-068-2. £ 7.99.

You're welcome.  Having the ISBN number you could theoretically order it through
any bookstore.  You could also try www.amazon.com or a similar on-line
bookstore.

I just got the book from the library.  I haven't really read it yet, but I can
say at this stage that it is useful but very basic (perhaps a bit too basic to
call it a "grammar"), and it can be used by anyone who can read English.

Have you taken a look at our own Andrew Eagle's web intro _Wir Ain Leid: An
innin til Modren Scots_ (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/Homepages/K27/).  I
think it contains more information than does the book.

My revision and additions:

Purves, David (1998); _A Scots Grammar: Scots Grammar and Usage_; Edinburgh
(Scotland): Saltire Society; pp. 69; ISBN 0-85411-068-2; £ 7.99.

Jones, Charles (1995); _A Language Suppressed: The pronunciation of the Scots
language in the 18th century_; Edinburgh (Scotland): John Donald; pp. 278; ISBN
0-85976-427-3.

McClure, J. Derrick (1997); _Why Scots Matters_; Edinburgh (Scotland): Saltire
Society; pp. 74; ISBN 0-85411-071-2.

As soo as I get a chance, I will add these to our list of Scots offline sources
at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1615/rhahn/lowlands/scots_offline.htm.

Best regards,

Reinhard/Ron