LL-L: "Pronunciation" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 07.MAY.1999 (05)

R. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Fri May 7 21:56:55 UTC 1999

 Do not send a request to the list or to the administrator unless there are
 genuine technical problems. Thanks.

From: Andy Eagle <K27 at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L: "Pronunciation" [E/S]

>>I wrote:

>> I'd appreciate it if somebody could give me some examles of how the IPA
>> symbol number 323 Barred O is pronounced in any 'well known' language.
<snip>

Ron wrote:

>Andy, that's not an easy one.  "Well-known" to whom?  Even though I know
>you a bit, I'm not sure what's well-known to you.

<snip>

At first I thought of naming some of the languages I'm familiar with. Then
I thought, if the sound doesn't occur in them it wouldn't help.
I decided just to wait and see what  would be suggested.

>Barred o represents a sound that is somewhere in the middle between the
>vowels in _Ton_ and _T{o"}ne_. Since you know German, try to say _Ton_ and
>slowly slide forward to _T{o"}n_ and stop somewhere in the middle, or do
>it the other way around if that is easier.  That produces a long version
>of that particular vowel.

I assumed the sound would be found somewhere there.

>I hope that helped at least a tiny bit.

IIt helps a lot, thanks.

Andy

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
Subject: Pronunciation

In IPA, the bar (-) through a vowel letter denotes medial -- neither front
nor back.  It is not to be confused with the slash (/) through the o.

Best regards,

Reinhard/Ron

 * Please submit contributions to <LOWLANDS-L at u.washington.edu>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "unsubscribe
   lowlands-l") are to be sent to <listproc at lists.u.washington.edu>.
 * Postings are to be composed solely by means of characters within
   the US ASCII range, since characters outside this range cannot be
   read by the majority of subscribers. Characters outside the range
   ought to be represented differently (e.g., u" or ue for u-umlaut, or
   @ for schwa).