LL-L: "Lowlands-L" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 07.MAY.1999 (04)

R. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Fri May 7 20:38:32 UTC 1999

 Do not send a request to the list or to the administrator unless there are
 genuine technical problems. Thanks.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
Subject: Lowlands-L

Dear Lowlanders,

As I announced earlier, Lowlands-L is moving over to the LINGUIST mail
server.  (Below a repeat of my announcement.)  We are in the process of
setting this up. This involves one or two "technical" messages that may
end up in your mailboxes, and also one or two double issues.  You are
currently subscribed to both versions of the list, as a matter of
transition. In order to avoid double messages, we had to stop automatic
mailing from the new list for now.  You might get another message when I
reactivate it.  Please bear with us as we are working out the kinks, and
do not send me any protest messages.

Hopefully it will all be in place and normal operations will resume very
soon.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Reinhard/Ron

Repeat announcement:

(2) LOWLANDS-L IS ABOUT TO MOVE.  I have hinted at this a couple of times
now, while I have been negotiating with the good folks at LINGUIST (the
world's foremost language/linguistics mailing list:
<http://linguistlist.org/>).  They have been very welcoming and
supportive, especially Anthony Aristar.  I take it as an honor that they
are willing to have us join their family of lists, using their funding
resources to run a server for all of us and making online archives
available to the world at large, thus providing an invaluable service.
Anthony is in the process of setting up the new (or reincarnated)
Lowlands-L. We plan this to be a multi-stage transition from the old
server (List Processor) to LINGUIST's Listserve set-up, hopefully without
any interruption to Lowlands-L activities.  We will start off mirroring
and archiving Lowlands-L.  I will then subscribe all of you to the new
list.  (Please do not be alarmed in case you get some weird message about
that.  Oh, and I might write to some of you who did not give their names
in the old days of uncontrolled subscription.)  I will also provide all of
you with instructions for posting, unsubscribing and on-line access to the
searchable archive and further instructions (and I will change the
multi-lingual instructions on our web site accordingly). This is not going
to cause you any hardship, no actual relearning, unless you choose to
familiarize yourselves with the more advanced features of mail control.
The advantages are going to be great, apart from the advantage of joining
the LINGUIST family.  Listserv is a much more sophisticated and powerful
list server system than the one we have been using for four years now.
Anthony calls it "the cadillac of list processing software."  It has
features that you will greatly welcome.  But more about that later.

(3) CO-EDITORS SOUGHT.  I would like to put together a very short roster
of Lowlands-L subscribers who are willing to assist me with the running of
the List should this be required.  I will sign one or two of them up as
"co-owners." They will be able to take over in case I am absent, and they
will be able to recruit others from the roster.  Most of the time this
would not entail a lot of work, and the volume can be controlled somewhat.
The co-owners will need to be relatively unafraid of learning to use the
Listserv features (with the help of a great online manual) and will also
need to be able to, at least between them, deal with the multitude of
language varieties we use (will need to know what language variety it is
and what the general contents are). (Hopefully subscribers will use our
language flags in their posting submissions.)  If you write to me
privately, addressing these qualifications, I will put your names on the
reserve list and, when the time comes, will sign up one or two who seem
most available and qualified at that time.

 * Please submit contributions to <LOWLANDS-L at u.washington.edu>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "unsubscribe
   lowlands-l") are to be sent to <listproc at lists.u.washington.edu>.
 * Postings are to be composed solely by means of characters within
   the US ASCII range, since characters outside this range cannot be
   read by the majority of subscribers. Characters outside the range
   ought to be represented differently (e.g., u" or ue for u-umlaut, or
   @ for schwa).