LL-L: "Pronouns" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 09.MAY.1999 (03)

R. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Sun May 9 22:14:05 UTC 1999

 Do not send a request to the list or to the administrator unless there are
 genuine technical problems. Thanks.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
Subject: Pronouns

Dear Lowlanders,

I received the following request and wonder if any of you can help.  It
looks like a question and theory that quite a few of us might be
interested in.

Of course, as always when we deal with questions about modern or more
recent varieties of Frisian, we first ought to ask "What Frisian are you
talking about?"  There are about ten major modern varieties that some may
argue to be separate languages or at least major dialect groups with up to
poor or even impossible mutual intelligibility.  Usually Westerlauwer
("West") Frisian (used in the Netherlands) is taken as the default for
"Frisian," probably because it is the most established (i.e., the least
threatened and administratively the most "powerful") and has the largest
number of speakers.  However, bear in mind that some Frisians in Germany
(where the largest number of varieties is used, albeit each with
relatively few speakers) may find that unfair.  Ideally, a study like that
ought to include data from all or most varieties.  I am sure that the
Friisk Instituut in Bra"ist/Bredstedt, Germany, could serve as a useful
resource here.  Perhaps our Frisian speakers and experts on this list can
help also.

Best regards,

Reinhard/Ron