LL-L: "Lowlands-L" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 09.MAY.1999 (04)

R. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Sun May 9 23:07:24 UTC 1999

 Do not send a request to the list or to the administrator unless there are
 genuine technical problems. Thanks.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
Subject: Lowlands-L

Dear Lowlanders,

We are still working on shifting Lowlands-L to the new server.  Archiving
has begun, though.  Please hang on to your non-English letters until we
have actually moved.  I will tell you when that is.

Here are just a few words about my appeal for volunteers for the "deputy"
position(s) in running Lowlands-L.

Apparently I am unique in that I understand all of the language varieties
we use on this list and am also able and *willing* to deal with the
administrative and technical aspects of Lowlands-L.  While this ought to
make me feel flattered, any hint of vanity is by far outweighed by my
concern about the running and future of Lowlands-L.  It now looks as
though I will end up appointing a team of deputies, i.e., a group of
people who can pool their technical and linguistic expertise to keep the
List running when I am not around.

A small number of you have come forward and have offered me their
assistance, with disclaimers pertaining to limited prerequisites.  I will
get in touch with them privately.  Meanwhile I keep inviting more
volunteers to join the team.  What I would like to propose is a stand-by
set-up with one or two deputies and a team of consultants.  Ideally, the
deputy in charge ought to have or be willing to acquire some knowledge of
the list server's workings.  (It really isn't that difficult once things
are set up.)  The consultants would be willing to help with the language
part in case the deputy does not understand the contents of a submission
or does not even know what language variety it is.  Of course, there could
also be one or two technical consultants in case the deputy needs some
backup support in case of problems.  In any case, it would not entail much
work, just willingness to stand by for the occasional question.

Please let me know privately if you wish to be on the roster and be
willing to help if need be, and in which of the following capacties you
would like to be listed on the stand-by roster:

* Deputy administrator
* Linguistic consultant
* Technical consultant

I am amazed to see that some of you have been on the List almost all of
its four years.  We must have something going for us considering this
level of loyalty.  Veterans, newcomers, active participants or interested
lurkers -- I appreciate your presence and support very much, in the past,
now and in the future.  I am also very pleased to know that Lowlands-L has
been serving as a social meeting place as well, has brought people
together as friends (and in two known cases even as lovers!), has beed the
parent or midwife of new lists, has helped to increase people's knowledge
and interest about Lowlands languages and cultures, and serves as a nice
little example of breaking down barriers thanks to global electronic
communication on a person-to-person level.

Best regards and wishes,
and love to all the Lowlander mothers on this Mother's Day,

Reinhard/Ron

 * Please submit contributions to <LOWLANDS-L at u.washington.edu>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "unsubscribe
   lowlands-l") are to be sent to <listproc at lists.u.washington.edu>.
 * Postings are to be composed solely by means of characters within
   the US ASCII range, since characters outside this range cannot be
   read by the majority of subscribers. Characters outside the range
   ought to be represented differently (e.g., u" or ue for u-umlaut, or
   @ for schwa).