LL-L: "Lowlands-L" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 13.MAY.1999 (02)

RFH sassisch at geocities.com
Thu May 13 14:47:09 UTC 1999

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.MAY.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

Users Manual: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html>

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
Subject: Lowlands-L

Dear Lowlanders,

Reportedly some of you did not receive the first LL-L issue via the
new server.  Below you will find the same one again.  I ask you to
read it carefully and keep it for future reference.

I should also add that John Tait (jmtait at jmt.prestel.co.uk) has kindly
volunteered as another Scots consultant.

Best regards,

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>

Dear Lowlanders,

If all goes according to plan, this is the first Lowlands-L issue
coming
to you via the new server: Listserv at LINGUIST
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/).  There have been a few minor
problems, but I think we are now in the operational phase thanks to
much
help from a very kind and patient Anthony Aristar of LINGUIST.  Thank
you,
Anthony and all other good folks at LINGUIST!

It is important that you read and keep this issue as a reference,
because
it contains the basic instructions you need now.  The following is a
part
of a message future subscribers will receive.  Below it you will find
some
further important remarks from me.

==

"To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the
list,
just send  mail to  lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org. This  is
called
"sending mail to the list", because you send mail to a single address
and
LISTSERV  makes copies  for  all  the people  who  have subscribed.
This
address (lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org)  is also called  the
"list
address". You must never  try to send any command to  that address, as
it
would be  sent to the editorial  address, which cannot deal  with it.
All
commands     must    be     sent    to     the    "LISTSERV
address",
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG.  It is  very important  to
understand
the difference  between the two,  but fortunately it is  not
complicated.
The LISTSERV address is like a FAX number that connects you to a
machine,
whereas the list address is like a  normal voice line connecting you
to a
person."

"You may  leave the  list at  any time by  sending a  "SIGNOFF
LOWLANDS-L"
command to LISTSERV at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG. You can also tell
LISTSERV
how you want it to confirm the  receipt of messages you send to the
list.
If you do not trust the system, send a "SET LOWLANDS-L REPRO" command
and
LISTSERV will send you  a copy of your own messages, so  that you can
see
that the  message was  distributed and  did not get  damaged on  the
way.
After a while  you may find that this is  getting annoying, especially
if
your mail program does not tell you  that the message is from you when
it
informs you that new mail has arrived from LOWLANDS-L. If you send a
"SET
LOWLANDS-L  ACK  NOREPRO"  command,  LISTSERV   will  mail  you  a
short
acknowledgement  instead,  which  will  look different  in  your
mailbox
directory. With most mail programs you will know immediately that this
is
an  acknowledgement  you  can  read  later. Finally,  you  can  turn
off
acknowledgements completely with "SET LOWLANDS-L NOACK NOREPRO"."

"This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive
the
digested  version of  the postings,  just issue  a SET  LOWLANDS-L
DIGEST
command."

"Please note that  it is presently possible for other  people to
determine
that  you are  signed up  to the  list through  the use  of the
"REVIEW"
command,  which  returns   the  e-mail  address  and  name   of  all
the
subscribers. If  you do not  want your name to  be visible, just
issue a
"SET LOWLANDS-L CONCEAL" command."

"More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the
LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO
REFCARD"
command to listserv.linguistlist.org."

==

So, the most important things you need to remember right now are that
you
must send your posting submissions to this new address:

lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

You must send commands to this address:

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org

You must send editorial requests (anything about the list you want the

owner(s) and/or editor(s) but not the subscribers to read) to this
address:

lowlands-l-request at listserv.linguistlist.org

Please add these three addresses to your address book, and also
bookmark
the following URLs.

You may also send some of the basic commands from the web:
http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html

Our searchable Lowlands-L archive is located here:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html

If you wish to acquaint yourselves with a larger number of subscriber
commands available in this sophisticated program Listserv, you may
download a general user's guide (in a choice of formats) to Listserv
here:
http://209.119.1.32/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

As soon as I can get around to it, I will change our Lowlands-L
webpages
so as to reflect the changes.

As I mentioned earlier, I would like to have some type of backup
system
that assures the continuation of Lowlands-L in my absence.  In the
meantime I have received some really nice responses, and I would like
thank everyone who has responded so far.  It is very gratifying and
encouraging for me to know that there are those among you who feel
strongly enough about Lowlands-L to be willing to go the extra mile
for
the sake of its continuation.

Below is the current roster of Lowlands-L functionaries:

Owner: Reinhard "Ron" Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>

Deputy Owners:  1. Ted Harding <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
                2. Ian Parsley <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
                3. Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Technical Consultant: Ted Harding <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>

Editors: 1. Ted Harding <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
         2. Ian Parsley <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
         3. Alfred Brothers <alfredb at erols.com>
         4. Sandy Fleming (sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk)
         5. Robert Thiel <gavilan at nbet.nb.ca>

Language consultants:
  Language identification: Pepijn Hendriks <pepijn at bibfoot.com>
  Afrikaans: Pepijn Hendriks <pepijn at bibfoot.com>
  Dutch: Pepijn Hendriks <pepijn at bibfoot.com>
  Frisian: Pepijn Hendriks <pepijn at bibfoot.com>
  Limburgian: ?
  Low Saxon (Low German): Pepijn Hendriks <pepijn at bibfoot.com>
  Scots: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
  British Isles: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

I would like to thank each one of the above, and I will be in touch
with
them. The invitation still stands.  None of this is carved in stone
for
all times.  Please bear in mind that this is merely a type of reserve
list.

Since Pepijn checks his Lowlands-L mail somewhat infrequently, it
would be
nice to have some backup person for the languages for which he
volunteered.

Now let us hope that posting this via the new server is going to work.

You will know if you receive this under Lowlands-L's new address and
find
a copy of it in the archive.

Thank you all for your patience, cooperation and support.

Yours always,

* Please submit contributions to
<lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
are