LL-L: "Lowlands-L" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 14.MAY.1999 (02)

RFH sassisch at geocities.com
Fri May 14 16:18:07 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.MAY.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Users Manual: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html>
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian,
 L=Limburgish, LS=Low Saxon (Low German), S=Scots, Sh=Shetlandic

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
Subject: Judaica

Dear Lowlanders,

(1) HANDLING LL-L IN ITS NEW HOME:

Some of you do not seem to have read or understood the basic instructions
for handling LL-L mail via the new server.  I have been getting unsubscribe
requests sent to the LL-L posting address and to my personal addresses.  In
all but one of these cases there should have been no problem if the command
"signoff lowlands-l" (and it isn't something like "sineof lowlands" or
anything else misspelled) had been sent to this address:

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org

The following address is the one you need to send your posting submissions
to:

lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

If you have subscription problems, please send a message to this address:

lowlands-l-request at listserv.linguistlist.org

You may also send some of the basic commands from the web:
http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html

Our searchable Lowlands-L archive is located here:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html

If you wish to acquaint yourselves with a larger number of subscriber
commands available in this sophisticated program Listserv, you may
download a general user's guide (in a choice of formats) to Listserv here:
http://209.119.1.32/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

(2) SPECIAL CHARACTERS:

Our good friend  +Fr Andreas Richard Turner writes:

"Sorry to bother you off-list, but I am having some trouble with reading
the characters we are now supposed to be able to read. Do you have some
instruction to offer the list about how to set the font in their e-mail
programs so that we can read these non-US ASCII characters?"

Richard, I hope you don't mind me mentioning this on the List.  There may
be others who have this problem.  Much depends on your email program.
There are many types.  I am not particularly familiar with most of them,
though I use three kinds and have no problem with the special characters in
any of them, at least not as far as reading is concerned.  If you let us
know what system or program you use, perhaps someone will be able to tell
you how to set the display preferences.  In the meantime you might like to
dig around for a "preferences" menu and see if it allows you to choose
different fonts and/or character sets (ASCII, ISO, Western, etc.).  Until
that has been solved, you can go to our archive on the web
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html) and check the
issues of interest there.  Hopefully your web browser display can handle
non-English Roman characters.  If not, please change the preference there
-- in Netscape under "Edit", "Preferences" and "Fonts", and in Microsoft
Internet Explorer under "View" and "Encoding".  Use their help programs to
change the setup.

(3) LL-L ADMINISTRATIVE ROSTER

Here is the latest version of roster of LL-L backup administrators and
consultants:

Deputy Owners:
     1. Ted Harding <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
     2. Ian Parsley <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
     3. Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Technical Consultant:
     Ted Harding <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>

Editors:
    1. Ted Harding <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
    2. Ian Parsley <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
    3. Alfred Brothers <alfredb at erols.com>
    4. Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
    5. Robert Thiel <gavilan at nbet.nb.ca>

Language consultants:
  Language identification:
     Pepijn Hendriks <pepijnh at bibfoot.com>
     Floor van Lamoen <f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl>
     Roger Thijs <Roger.Thijs at village.uunet.be>
  Afrikaans:
     Pepijn Hendriks <pepijnh at bibfoot.com>
     Floor van Lamoen <f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl>
  Dutch:
     Pepijn Hendriks <pepijnh at bibfoot.com>
     Floor van Lamoen <f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl>
     Roger Thijs <Roger.Thijs at village.uunet.be>
     J.H. van de Pol <poljut at a1.nl>
  Frisian:
     Pepijn Hendriks <pepijnh at bibfoot.com>
     Floor van Lamoen <f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl>
  Limburgian:
  Low Saxon <Low German>:
     Pepijn Hendriks <pepijnh at bibfoot.com>
     Floor van Lamoen <f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl>
     J.H. van de Pol <poljut at a1.nl>
  Scots/British Isles affairs:
     Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
     John Tait <jmtait at jmt.prestel.co.uk>
     Ian Parsley <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>

Many thanks to everyone for their support, also those who responded
privately to tell me that they cannot help.

Best regards and wishes to all of you.

* Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
be
   sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or performed at
* Please use only Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other type

   of format, in  your submissions