LL-L: "Judaica" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 20.MAY.1999 (05)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Fri May 21 00:08:10 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.1999 (05) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Users Manual: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html>
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian,
 L=Limburgish, LS=Low Saxon (Low German), S=Scots, Sh=Shetlandic

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>
Subject: Judaica

Pat Reynolds wrote:

"If, therefore, this is beyond the bounds of the list, please forgive me:
I would like to read a good general introduction to Jewish history in
the area - does anyone have any suggestions?  I am particularly
interested in the period 1500-1800."

I assume you are referring to Jewish history in the *Lowlands* when you say "in
the area."

As introductory reading I strongly recommend the autobiography of Glückel von
Hameln (1646-1724), born and raised in Hamburg.  I have not yet begun to read it
but have read reviews, all of which stress that it contains much valuable
cultural and historical information and ought to be seen as a great source of
information in women's history and European Jewish life in the early part of the
modern era.  Here is an English language version:

Zikhroynes: the memoirs of Glückel of Hameln, translated with notes by Marvin
Lowenthal ; new introd. by Robert S. Rosen, New York : Schocken Books, 1977,
c1932. ISBN: 0805205721 : 6.95.

Being a bit biased toward my native Hamburg, I also very strongly recommend
Struan Robinson's excellent (English language!) synopsis of Jewish history in
that city on a University of Hamburg account:

A History of Jews in Hamburg
http://www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/rz3a035/history.html

Furthermore, and going farther afield in the Lowlands, I recommend the
following:

The Jewish Connection: Persecution and banishment by Philip Warren
http://www.taxicab.co.uk/journals/pwarren/jews1_1.html
(Dealing with the treatment of Jews in London, Amsterdam and other places)

Sephardic Jews
http://sorrel.humboldt.edu/~rescuers/book/Strobos/BramPais/seph.html
(Dealing with the history of the Sephardic community in Amsterdam)

Importance and unimportance of the Jews of Belgium from the Middle Ages to the
Enlightenment
http://hgins.uia.ac.be/webger/ger/people/vanhoutte/jews.html

The History of the Jews in England  (1066-1655)
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7221/jewishistory.htm

Jewish Communities of the World: http://www.vjworld.com/
Western Europe: http://www.vjworld.com/weurope.htm
Netherlands Antilles: http://www.vjworld.com/antilles/index.htm