LL-L: "Orthography" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 22.MAY.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Sat May 22 19:44:16 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.MAY.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Users Manual: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html>
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian,
 L=Limburgish, LS=Low Saxon (Low German), S=Scots, Sh=Shetlandic

From: "Ian James Parsley" <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject: Orthography

> Contrary to the theories suggested, Geordies could easily write to each
> other in Geordie (but perhaps, like many native Scots speakers, just don't
> see the point of it), and a thorough grasp of English orthography is still
> by far the easiest and most reliable start to communicating in Geordie, or
> in Scots, on paper!

This takes us back to the original point that my two Viennese
friends, who could just as easily have written to each other in
standard German, chose to do so in Wienerisch. Having spent most of
my time in Newcastle upon Tyne (home of Geordie) for the past four
years, I've yet to come across that phenomenon in Newcastle. Two
Geordies e-mailing each other do so in Geordie, and actually it's not
even a good idea to attempt to e-mail them in Geordie - they'll get
offended!

There are, incidentally, other questionable Geordie spellings - is it
"al" or "aal", "divvunt" or "divn't", "canny" or "cannae"?
--------
Ian.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/1677

   to be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or performed at