LL-L: "Multilingualism" LOWLANDS-L, 31.OCT.1999 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 02:22:54 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.OCT.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Multilingualism"

> From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
> Subject: LL-L: "Multilingualism" LOWLANDS-L, 27.OCT.1999 (04) [E]
>
> I've heard Navaho quoted as an immensely difficult language to learn, and
> compared unfavourable with Lakota/Dakota, which is thought to be much
> easier. Both are presumably equally removed from Indo European - so do the
> peculiar difficulties of Navaho (tones; phonemic vowel - and consonant? -
> length; word classes) make it objectively more difficult, or is it just a
> matter of comparison?

This whole subject reminds me of when I gained proficiency in Czech (because
I had to) and then decided to extend my knowledge of Slavonic languages by
learning Russian (because it's a major language).

The immediate stumbling block I found on starting Russian wasn't the
Cyrillic alphabet, it was the fact that stress in Russian is irregular,
while I was more used to the regular stress in Czech. The languages are
pretty similar, but a simple difference like this can be offputting when:

1. you are more used to a language which is much more regular in some aspect
than the language you're learning;

2. you don't really _have_ to learn the language.

The first point may give rise to tales of the incredible difficulty of
learning a language, but the second point is probably the only one that
really matters.

I think the fact that Czech and Russian are so close is part of the problem
though - when faced with irregular Russian stress patterns after learning
Czech, I could practically hear my subconscious mind shouting, "This is a
stupid hassle and a waste of time! Why don't we just do it the sensible
Czech way?!"

I've learned my lesson and now on the whole don't bother to learn a language
until I've examined my motives and decided that I really have a good reason
for learning it.

I think this can be broken down further. There are different disciplines in
learning a language - reading, writing, speaking, listening - and people
tend to learn only those which they really need. Thus when English-speaking
Scots try to learn Scots they usually have some sort of
political/nationalistic agenda in which speaking Scots is unimportant but
they meed to look as if they can write it. Here a further subdivision of
linguistic disciplines comes into play - they don't _need_ Scots grammar to
give the _appearance_ of being able to write Scots, they just need the
vocabulary (though a bit of anti-English orthography helps too!) and as a
consequence they "nivver rax the geggie whaurlins thai kin crack or even
scrieve Scots whilk hamel bletherers cud thole" (ill-chosen Scots words
copyright Chambers' Concise English-Scots Dictionary :)

Sandy
http://scotstext.org

----------

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]

Ian wrote in reply to Lila:

>>I think by definition we all speak our native tongues
perfectly - whether we adhere to the national standard is another matter.<<

I was drafting a reply which broadly endorsed this view (the linguist's
rather than the grammarian's) but I would say that it is true of grammar,
not semantics. Anyone can misunderstand and mis-use a word. I would also add
the qualification that the speaker needs the opportunity to review and
correct his/her first utterance to ensure perfection. It is quite possible
to make mistakes such as having the verb agree with the wrong subject if one
creates an over-complex sentence structure.

Isn't it "Ich sehe den Herrn"?

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]
Subject: LL-L: "Multilingualism" LOWLANDS-L, 30.OCT.1999 (06) [E]

At 18:36 30/10/99 -0700, John M. Tait wrote:

>However, I
>believe that a great deal depends on attitude. If you start by assuming
>that you have to learn, you will learn. The problems arise when you assume
>you already know it when you don't.

R. F. Hahn replied

>Yes, attitude is crucial.  However, it is difficult to convince yourself that
>you don't know and need to learn from the beginning when you understand a lot
of
>the language already.

This is a very important point, which I have not seen stated so succinctly
and directly before now. I'll write something about this in the
introduction to my course, "Stertin Oot in Scots", which is already
basically complete except for minor changes such as this one.

Thanks to both!

Colin Wilson.

                               the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
Colin Wilson                   the barra wadna row its lane
postin fae Glesca              an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
                               lik the muckin o Geordie's byre