LL-L: "Romance connections" LOWLANDS-L, 04.NOV.1999 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 23:42:02 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.1999 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: Spanish influences

Jack de Graef made an 11th reworked edition of his "Het Antwerps dialect,
van dezekestijd tot in de 21e eeuw", 1999, Facet, Antwerpen, ISBN
90-5016-282-7, 320 pp. It is not really a "dialect dictionnary", rather an
"idioticon" with (commercially selected) expressions and all kind of wisdom
about Antwerp.

    dezekestijd : Jezukes-tijd (the time of Jezus)
    The French "J" becomes often "D+French J" in Walloon and in South
Limburgian (we write it as "dzj")
    in Antwerp Brabantish just the D is left
    in my Limburgian dialect we said "Dzjézekestèèd".

Some of the words under the subject "Spaanswerps" (Spanish Antwerpish)

Antwerpish/ Spanish/  Dutch

sinjoor/ señor/ geboren Antwerpenaar, die woont "intra muros"

pagadder/ pagador/  inwoner van de Antwerpse randgemeentes; klein manneke;
kind (kleinste officier van het Spaanse leger, die als betaalmeester werd
aangeduid)

amigo/ amigo/ stadsgevangenis te Antwerpen

schoelje/ chulo/ persoon die langs geen kanten deugt

kanalje/ canalla/ ploert

travakke/ trabajar/ werken

goesting/ gusto/ zin (cf. egens zin in hebben)

rabio/ rabioso/ onbetrouwbaar, ruig, rumoerig persoon

schabelleke/ escabel/ voetbankje

(For some of the words, the origin may also be French, I think)

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Romance connections

Dear Roger, Lowlanders,

Thanks for the list.  The minute I opened your submission someone happened to
walk into my office who was born and raised in Antwerp.  (Would she be a
_sinjora_?  Sorry I forgot to ask her.)  I ran your list by her, and she
pronounced all the items for me ("soft" g and all).  Even though she does not
speak "broad" Antwerp dialect herself (while her father does), her Dutch is
definitely colored by it, enough for all Belgians and many Netherlanders to be
able to tell her place of origin. So much she admitted to me.  She said she
knew all of those words and asssumes that everyone from Antwerp does.

She said _pagadder_ might in most contexts be translated as something like
'little kid', 'tyke'.

Here are my comments:

> kanalje/ canalla/ ploert

Of course, English has "canaille" ([kh@'naI] ~ [kh@'nEIl] in the sense of
'common/vulgar folks', 'riffraff', and German has _Kanaille_ [kha'nalj@] with
similar meaning, also 'common, untrustworthy person'.  These are supposed to
come not from Spanish but from French _canaille_ which apparently came from
Italian _canaglia_ < _cane_ (< Latin _canis_) 'dog'.

> schabelleke/ escabel/ voetbankje

And, of course, there are also Portuguese _escabelo_, French _escabeau_,
Italian _sgabello_, etc. < Latin _scabellum_.  I wonder if Low Saxon _Schamel_
~ _Schämel_ ~ _Schemel_ and German _Schemel_ 'footstool' are related to this,
and if so, what is their origin?  Why would the _-b-_ become _-m-_?  Note that
Latin _scabellum_ 'small stool', 'footstool' is a diminutive derivative from
_scamnum_ 'bench', 'stool', 'step' (< _scab-num_).