LL-L: "Expressions" LOWLANDS-L, 04.NOV.1999 (04) [Ap]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 23:59:53 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.1999 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Iustin Churchill [mladios at hotmail.com]
Subject: Phrases

Hey y'all!
   Recently ma mother was o'er visitin ma gramma in the Mountains cause she
(Gramma) got some surgery done. In the hospitle the nurses was tawkin what
gramma cawed 'Mountain tawk'.
They's a couple o thangs they said at sound new ta me, an Aa was jest
wondrin iffen y'all e'er heered it outsaad o North Carolina or where e'er
elts ye are.
One nurse offered ta open somethin fer sombody an said
"take it a-loose" fer 'open'.
Another nurse was appearantly tryin ta say somethin laak 'take in a lotta
fluids' and she said "take it to your hide". Gramma didn't understand and
aist er ta say it agin, an she said the same thang.
Both o them phrases is new ta me, Aa cain't say as Aa e'er heered anythang
laak em! Anybody elts know whar they come from?
  Whaal Aa'm own the subjec, Aa wanna aisk about another phrase a friend o
maan's mama said: "Leave the door to". It sounds German-laak to me-- 'to'
meanin 'closed'. Is at jest flatlander country tawk as Aa would expect fum
er, or do y'all reconaaz it too?
  Aa'm aiskin cause Aa don't hear much _real_ Appalachian atall o'er here in
Charlotte, an Aa have trouble tellin it fum reglar country tawk.
Thank ya fer listnin (and puttin up with ma half-Anglish Appalachian)!
    -Justin "Jud" Churchill