LL-L: "Expressions" LOWLANDS-L, 07.NOV.1999 (04) [E/S]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 03:23:47 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.NOV.1999 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Braw1 at aol.com
Subject: LL-L: "Expressions" LOWLANDS-L, 06.NOV.1999 (01) [Ap/E]

bit in scots ye sae tak tae yer heid
meaning get an idea or notion in your head
-mark
Braw1

----------

From: Floor van Lamoen [f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl]

> From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
> Subject: LL-L: "Expressions" LOWLANDS-L, 05.NOV.1999 (09) [Ap/E]
>
> Justin,
>
> Here in Northern Ireland, "hide" means merely "skin", so that's probably
> what it means - "take it to your skin". "Hide" I think is Anglo-Saxon of
> Scandinavian origin though cf. German "Haut".

Maybe it is of Lowlandic origin! For instance:

Dutch: huid
Westerlauer Frisian: hûd
Bildts: huud
Zeeuws: 'uud

And I suppose there will be Low Saxon and Limburgian versions too.
According to the Dutch dictionary WNT 'huid' is/was found in Dutch,
German, Frisian, English (hide), old Saxon als well as in Anglo-Saxon

Best regards,
Floor.