LL-L: "Archaisms" LOWLANDS-L, 07.NOV.1999 (06) [D/E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 03:30:44 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.NOV.1999 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: old vocabulary

I bought some books today on a second hand book fair, specialized on "books
related to Limburg" in Maaseik.

One of them is a commented  facsimile (1973) of the manuscript "Register
vanden Veghenooten der Stadt Sint-Truyden ghepassert bij heeren ende Stadt
opden XXJen Maij 1590".

Some words I don't recognise in modern Dutch may exist in other lowland
languages.

Manuscript/ Modern Dutch/  Comments

__Aert__/  Verpachter/ The one who lend the land to somebody

__wen__/ Pachter/ The one who lends the land from somebody
- comment:  I just know the word "wénning" for lage farm in my dialect,
- comment:  cf. Dutch "broodwinning" (main income)

__een getouste__/ een pachtovereenkomst/ a contract for lending land
- comment: this was called a "toos" in my Limburgian dialect

__tochter__/ vruchtgebruiker/ the one that may have the revenues of the land
(as long as he lives)

__ten halven scoeve__/ halfwinning/ for half of the revenues
- comment: I guess __scoeve__ corresponds to the Dutch "schoof"

Thanks for all comments.

A little except:

Dit sijn alsulcke Statuten
ende ordinantien als die vegenoten
der Stadt St Truyden hebben
daer sy hen naer sullen reguleren
om den __Aert__, __wennen__, ende
erffluyden niet te bescenden
ende hen daer naer in hender
vuytspraeken te reguleren; als
soe verre sy partyen niet en
connen vereenighen, om die selve
acten aen the brenghen aen schout
ende Scepenen der Stadt St
Truyden.

etc. etc.
(rules of behaveour for the "vegenoten", judges for solving judicial cases
regarding lending of land; this refers to "civil lending" not to "feodal
loan" that was subject to an other judicial system)

Regards,
Roger