LL-L: "Phonology" (was "Web resources") LOWLANDS-L, 10.NOV.1999 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 23:34:09 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.NOV.1999 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu
Subject: LL-L: "Web resources" LOWLANDS-L, 10.NOV.1999 (03) [E]

Ron Hahn wrote:

> LS Uutfaart (MLS>Sw. utfart 'exit' <> D. uitvaart 'funeral'

This makes a trip on the Autobahn for us Dutch such a macabre
experience: at each and every exit there are signs for an on-
going funeral.  This may be a feeble excuse for our less than
stellar reputation in Autobahn driving. ;-)

> The authors also included orthographic false friends, where the
pronunciation
> is not the same, especially Swedish voiced <v> vs Dutch devoiced <v>; e.g.
Sw.
> <vänster> 'left' vs Dutch <venster> 'window' (= Sw. <fönster> < MLS

I would not call the'v' in Dutch <venster> de-voiced; unlike the
Dutch 'f', the 'v' *is* voiced, but unlike in Swedish it is a
fricative.  Pronouncing the 'v' in <venster> de-voiced would be
a sign of a Frisian or Amsterdam accent.

Gustaaf