LL-L: "Romance connections" LOWLANDS-L, 11.NOV.1999 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 00:53:49 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.NOV.1999 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 10.NOV.1999 (06) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Web resources
> Dutch <v> definitely doesn't sound like an English, French or Scandinavian
> <v>, namely like [v], *voiced*.  It is less voiced and tends to be
perceived
> as voiceless by non-Dutch speakers.  In linguistic descriptions it is
> certainly treated as distinct from Dutch /f/ and /w/, and phonetically it
is
> often represented by a [v] with a little circle underneath (standing for
> "devoiced").  It's very hard for non-Dutch people to hear the difference
> between it and /f/, and one of the perceived features of the "typical"
Dutch
> accent in other languages is what is perceived as [f] for [v].  I
certainly
> have no problem hearing the difference between the two of them on the one
hand
> and Dutch /w/ (a labio-dental glide as typically found in Indian languages
and
> in Indian English) on the other hand.

I think Gustaaf was right in making the distinction between
Holland-Friesland and the other regions. In the Netherlands one sees Brabant
and Limburg convert to follow the Holland pronounciation though.

In Belgium, in general:

the V of "vel", "venster" is pronounced exactly as V in French "ventre",
"vivre" etc.  It's one of the ways for identifying directly Southern Dutch
speakers. In the past I allways thought our pronounciation was correct, and
that the Holland one was dialect, but actually Randstad-Dutch is becoming
the standard.

the F of "fel", "felicitatie" is prounounced here exactly as the French F in
"félicitations" etc.

the W of "water" etc. cannot be pronounced by the French. They make
somenting like "OE-ater" out of it. (OE in written Dutch corresponds to the
written U in German)

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: Gerda [gpieterse at intekom.co.za]

Gustaaf,

But then the cleaning agent in Afrikaans/Seffricun English is
pronounced with the English <v> almost like the Dutch first name
'Wim', which makes it all the more confusing! We had great difficulty
buying the stuff when we first came to South Africa (before
supermarkets came in force, where you fetch your own)!

My father was called  Yfert instead of Evert in the workplace, by
Afrikaans and English colleagues alike.

Regards from a new member on the list,

Gerda

PS How do I stop receiving the whole introduction before every
message, or is this par for the course?

Gustaaf wrote:

>I know that to non-Dutch ears the 'f', the 'v', and the 'w' all sound
>similar.  But to us they are phonemic: the words 'fel', 'vel', and
>'wel', are pronounced differently, and have different meanings.  Some
English