LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 12.NOV.1999 (06) [D/E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 22:37:55 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.NOV.1999 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 11.NOV.1999 (02) [E/LS]

> From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
> > From: Carl Johan Petersson [Carl_Johan.Petersson at Nordiska.uu.se]
> > Subject: LL-L: "Phonology"
> >.....I faintly recall reading somewhere that this is one of
> > the features of what is known as "Poldernederlands". Is this correct?
> In Jan Stroop, "Poldernederlands", 1998, Amsterdam, Uitgeverij Bert
Bakker,
> ISBN 90-351-2033-7, 120 pp.:
> ".. vinden we ook andere veranderingen in het gesproken Nederlands terug
in
> het rapport van de commissie Bolkestein....de afgekeurde veranderingen
> hebben zich toch doorgezet. Voorbeeld is de dikwijls "Amsterdams" genoemde
> gewoonte om geen onderscheid te maken tussen s/z, f/v, ch/g... Dat
> onderscheid bestaat in het algemeen Nederlands tegenwoordig nauwelijks
meer
> en bijna niemand lijkt er zich aan te storen."

I must correct myself a bit. The quotation was from the book
"Poldernederlands" indeed. But the author considers the "v_equals_f"
phenomenon as standard Dutch. Poldernederlands (as to his book) refers to a
Dutch variant with two main properties:

1. A sound shift of the vowels ("lowering" of the vowels)
 oo to ou:
              nood becomes/tends_to noud
 ou to aau:
              koud becomes/tends_to  kaaud
 eu to ui:
             leuk becomes/tends_to  luik
 ui to au:
            uit becomes/tends_to aut
ei to aai:
            teid becomes/tends_to taaid
ee to ei:
            deeg becomes/tends_to  deig

2. r preceded by a vowel becomes retroflex ("postvocalic r", "Gooise r")
            and replaces the other 10 types of r in Dutch, of which the most
known are:
            - the "tongpunt-r" (dental)
            - the "huig-" or "brouw-r" (velar)
            - the "j-alike" r (e.g. of Hajmen Joelands of the NOS TV news)

The author point that the "Poldernederlands" voice shifts are just opposite
to the "bekakte Bovennederlands" (of the royal family and its environment):

Dutch/    Poldernederlands/    Bovennederlands
teid/    taaid/ teed
uit/    ait/    eut
vrouw/    vraauw/ vroow
leuk/    luik/    luuk