LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 25.NOV.1999 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 00:27:56 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.NOV.1999 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Gerda [gpieterse at intekom.co.za]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 25.NOV.1999 (01) [E]

>Just curious: what would the Afrikaans, Scots and Low Saxon
>equivalents be?
 Hello there,

Hope I'm doing this right. (Newcomer who has been "lurking" for a week
or two)

In Afrikaans they would say:

" Goeie botter en goeie kaas..."

Regards

Gerda

----------

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Language varieties"

> From: Henno Brandsma [Henno.Brandsma at phil.uu.nl]
> Subject: LL-L: "Language contacts" LOWLANDS-L, 22.NOV.1999 (02) [E]
>
> Good butter and good cheese =
> Goede bu^ter en goede tsiis [gu. at de but at r En gu. at de tsi:s]
>
> To compare: Dutch: goede boter en goede kaas =
>                    [xud@ bo:t at r En xud@ ka:s]
>
> So Frisian has the same [g] sound, and the most striking coincidence
> is of course the _tsiis_, which has two similar features as English
> has: palatalisation of old [a:] ([a:] still present in Dutch), and
> following this the palatalisation of [k]. Both Frisian and Dutch
> underwent a form of the Great Vowel Shift, and changed old [o:] to
> [u]-like sounds, as did German BTW. Also, the continental languages,
> including German and LOw Saxon, still have inflexional endings on the
> adjective. I think that bu^ter (sounding similar to the German Butter)
> also occurs in English dialects (northern ones, I suppose) and I would
> think in Scots as well.

Not in Scots, where it's pronounced [bA?@r].

In the north of England, however, the [A] of Scots (or Southern English) is
always pronounced [u], hence butter would be pronounced much more like the
Frisian word in the north of England. The [A] isogloss extends from Scotland
some considerable way into England, especially in the east, before the [u]
sound starts to take over.

In Scots: "Guid butter an guid cheese" [gId bA?@r @n gId tSi:z] (central)
                                       [gwid bA?@r @n gwid tSi:z] (north east)
                                       [gUd bA?@t @n gUd tSi:z] (more
conservative dialects)

Hope I haven't made a mess of the dialects I'm not so familiar with!

Guid butter an guid cheese, is no English an no Fries  :)

Sandy
http://scotstext.org