LL-L: "Help needed" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 02.OCT.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 19:23:19 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.OCT.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "luisfel" - banners and bunting

A technical architectural handbook (DOCBlad) illustrates a form of short
wall-tie (anker) which has a hook or hooks just above the joint.  These
are described as "haak voor luifel" which I translate (?inaccurately) as
'hook for awning'.
The British literature for short wall-ties describes the hooks as being
for 'banners and bunting'.

So, I have two questions: first, is my translation of 'luifel' as
'awning' correct?  Second, if it is correct, does anyone know of any
evidence that these hooks _were_ used for awnings, banners or bunting?

With best wishes,
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: Linguistic Emergancy!

The emergency is that Brooklands College (Weybridge, Surrey) has not
been able to find a teacher of Dutch for this year.  So my evening class
has been cancelled!

Does anyone know of anyone wanting either to teach me privately, or to
take on a full evening class (at Camberley)?  I am prepared to travel!

Best wishes to all,
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk