LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 06.OCT.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 15:26:15 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.OCT.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" [E]

John and others,

Well, I'll just tell you what I know about this and then we can try
to make
it relevant to Lowlands languages :-)

The OHG form of "stehen" was "standan", which in some MHG dialects
became
"stan" and "sten" (with long vowels). The /h/, which was sounded in
words
such as OHG "ziehen", then stopped being pronounced but the vowel
before it
became long (cf. "zehn"). The <h> then appeared to mark vowel
lengthening,
so was inserted into the words "stehen" and "gehen" (still pronounced
"stan" and "gan" in many dialects).

The past form of "gehen" or Dutch "gaan" interests me because in
Ulster-Scots we have both "gan"/"tae gae" and "gangan"/"tae gang".
The past
tenses vary somewhat, tending towards "gaed" and "went" (past
participles in
U-S are identical to the preterite form in nearly all dialects). The
suppletive "went" is cognate to German "wenden", so we can ignore
this. Any further comments appreciated.

Best,
Ian James Parsley
www.gcty.com/parsleyij
John 3:16

Ian wrote:

> The past form of "gehen" or Dutch "gaan" interests me

Afrikaans _gaan_ and Low Saxon (Low German) _gaan_ not to forget!

:>