LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 11.OCT.1999 (01a)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 21:56:23 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.OCT.1999 (01a) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Lowlands Administrator <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Sorry, Lowlanders.  This one got away.  Here is the complete version.

From: Anja Meyfarth [AMeyfarth at t-online.de]

Hello Lowlands-L

Reinhard wrote:

> The more "sophisticated" German word for 'shrimp' is _Garnele_ (cf. Dutch
> _garnaal_), but Northern _Krabbe_ seems to have spread southward.

There is another word for the shrimps of the North Sea, today almost only
used by the fishermen: "Granat", perhaps because of the colour.

Anja