LL-L: "Etymolgy" LOWLANDS-L, 15.OCT.1999 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 15:24:37 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.OCT.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 14.OCT.1999 (01) [E]

> From: Jan Ter Ellen [Jan at spherical-group.demon.co.uk]
> Subject: Etymology (Granaat)
>
> Related to the discussion about _Granaat_ and _garnaal_.
>
> A Belgium friend told me that there is an old Walloon word _guernette_,
> which means the same as the more common _crevette_.  I have not beem
> able to verify this, as my fairly basic French dictionary doesn't show
> it.

1. wallon liégeois (Haust, vol 1, French- liégeois)):
   crevette:    grènåte, guèrnåte
2.id (Haust, vol. 2, liégeois-French)
   grènåte, guèrn-: crevette (Flam. gernaart, néerl. garnaal)
3. Ouest-Wallon (Bal, vol 2)
  guèrnôte (Courcelles, Monceau-sur-Sambre, Thiméon): crevette

I case somebody wants to get a rapid and affordable introduction into
walloon, there is now a little Assimil that, I guess, is distributed
world-wide: Guy Fontaine, Assimil évasion, Le wallon de poche (Liège, Namur,
Charleroi), Assimil Benelux, Brussels, 1999, ISBN 90-74996-32-9, 258 pp.
pocket size (size and set-up similar to the traveller's classical  "How do
you say in Bongobongo").

In (real) Flemish:
4. France, Bray-Dunes, (as to:: Marteel):
 garnaeze
5. Roeselare (as to: Clinckemaillie):
 gêirnaort
    means: 1 garnaal, 2. spotnaam voor kleine schrale man
6. Poeringe (as to: Tillie)
 En e so veele zin lik _chèrnoars__  poèt'n
 Hij heeft zoveel zinnen lijk garnalepoten (Hij verandert veel van mening)

In my Limburgish from Vliermaal (Belgian Limburg) we used: __krevette__

Here in the shops, I live in the Antwerp area, one distinguishes between:
- grijze garnalen (tasty little gray shrimps from the North see, pealed in
Morocco)
- roze garnalen (tasteless little white/pink shrimps, I think from
Bangla-Desh)
- reuzegarnalen (big size white/pink shrips, size similar to what is served
as "räkor" in Sweden)

I also have a question about snails (Dutch "slakken").
We say:
- __karakollen__, for the white ones, that are sold here (in a cup of hot
snail soup) in Antwerp on the market and in shopping streets
- __escargots__, for the black ones, that are served in restaurants with hot
garlic butter.
What vocabulary do you people use?

Regards,
Roger