LL-L: "Celtic connections" LOWLANDS-L, 25.OCT.1999 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 21:50:28 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.OCT.1999 (08) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Celtic connections" LOWLANDS-L, 24.OCT.1999 (05) [E]

All,

I wonder if maybe there are some new members a little complexed by some of
the terminology others take for granted on this list, so maybe I could
answer Mark's question in more detail for the benefit of those new to this
whole thing.

The vast majority of languages spoken across Europe (and also across to
parts of the northern Indian subcontinent) are derived from the same single
language, known as Proto-Indo-European (occasionally as
Proto-Indo-Germanic). This language split up into different dialects, which
became unintelligible (i.e. incomprehensible) from each other, probably some
time in the second millennium BCE, as tribes moved to new areas and came
into contact with new things.

These languages, such as Proto-Celtic, Proto-Germanic and
Proto-Italic/Romance then split up again into new languages, and so on and
so forth, so that we have an "Indo-European language tree" which looks like
a family tree. Modern Irish can be said to be the "daughter language" of
Proto-Celtic, which is turn is the daughter language of Proto-Indo-European.
In turn Welsh can be seen as a "sister language" of Irish as both are
derived from Proto-Celtic, and so on. Ultimately on this basis languages
such as Irish and Welsh would be distant relations (cousins, I suppose :-))
of Germanic language such as German or English.

If only it were that simple. Of course languages split up but then come back
into contact with each other. English is a notorious case of this, having
split from French it then came to be influenced very heavily by it a couple
of millennia later at the time of the Norman conquest, and then to confuse
issues there was the distinction between Latin (the "lingua franca" or
"common language" of the time), Norman French and Parisian French to contend
with. But such things keep linguists busy.

Taking the case of Scots: Proto-Germanic split into East, West and North
Germanic (it's slightly more complicated than that, but that'll do for now).
In turn, West Germanic split into "Insular" and "Continental" (many other
titles are assigned to these two, but they don't matter here), and "Insular"
came to be represented by Old Frisian and Anglo-Saxon late in the first
millennium of our era. Anglo-Saxon then split into several dialects, the
southern ones becoming English and the Northumbrian dialect becoming Scots.
Of course, the Celts had got to Britain before the Angles and the Saxons,
and Celtic languages therefore continue to influence English to this day
(and vice-versa, of course).

So to answer your question, Mark, you cannot say that one modern-day
language is derived from another. English, German and Gaelic all share a
common ancestor in "Indo-European", but English and German are more closely
related in that they both belong to the "Germanic" (and indeed "West
Germanic") branch, whereas Gaelic belongs to the Celtic branch.

For list members who still aren't too sure about this, the Indo-European
language tree can be found in most good general encyclopedias, I recommend
consulting one as this makes the thing a whole lot clearer!

Regards,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
"JOY - Jesus, Others, You"