LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 26.OCT.1999 (05) [E/S]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 23:08:41 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.1999 (05) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Andrew Eagle [K27 at compuserve.com]
Subject: Phonology [S/E]

I'm after a few descriptions of some vowels and diphthongs.
These are from Ulster Scots. Descriptions (examples of words with these
sounds) would be preferred in English, German or French, or if unavailable,
in any related language.

/@u/ @ = Schwa in 'rowe', 'knowe' and 'fower'

/ipa306.e/ Ipa 306. = Open O in 'boy', 'moylie' (a hornless cow) and
assumedly in 'noise' 'ploy, 'foy' and the name 'Boid'

/ipa305.e/ ipa 305. = Cursive A in  'five', 'mine' adj., 'pie' and 'tire'

/ipa325./ (Ash Digraph) in 'bag'

/e@/ (schwa-glide) in 'hame', 'lade' and 'face'

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy