LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 28.OCT.1999 (02) [E/F/LS]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 16:04:45 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.OCT.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Henno Brandsma [Henno.Brandsma at phil.uu.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 27.OCT.1999 (02) [E]

> From: Braw1 at aol.com
> Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 25.OCT.1999 (07) [E]
>
> And "the moarn's moarn" is "tomorrow morning".

Just a short comment: In westerlauwer Frisian I would say
_moarntemoarne_ [mo. at nt@mwan@], probably an old dative in
the end: te + moarn + e (old case ending).
So, as you see, in WF _moarn_ is also used as both _morning_
and _tomorrow_

What do other Frisian speakers on the list use for "tomorrow morning"?

  In Glasgow, I believe
> "tomorrow" is the "morra" (one might question this "morra" to be a slang
> English rather than Scots).  Living in the States on comes across more
> Gleswegian Scots. When, my mother suddenly changed from saying "the moarn"
> tae uisein' "the morra".  I jokingly said don't ye change ma mither's
tongue.
>  And who have ye been paling aboot wi'?
> -Mark

Well, I've changed words from my dialect as well (no longer _ga^ns_ for
_goes_ (=_goose_), to name but one). Must be influence from other speakers
as well as a later self-imposed "purism", so to say.
In your case it goes the other way round, to a "less pure" Scots form..

Greetings,

Henno