LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 28.OCT.1999 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 00:05:49 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.OCT.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Etymology"

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Henno wrote:
>
> > one more addition to that: I looked up _schemering_ in my dictionary
> > of Tessels (the dialect of the Dutch island Texel, a Hollandic dialect
> > on a Frisian substratum) and found: _snippevluchie_ [ snIp at flYxi],
> > where _vluchie_ is a diminuative form of _vlucht_ (flight) [note that
> > the unrounded *flecht is not attested here], where _snip_ is a type
> > of bird (don't know the English name, it's a bird living in meadows
> > with a long beak).
>
> Henno, I think you are referring to what in English is 'snipe' -- genus
> _Capella_, especially _Capella gallinago_, Low Saxon _Snipp_ (f., in some
> dialects _Himmelszeeg'_ "sky goat"!), German _Schnepfe_ (f.), Spanish
> _agachadiza_ (f.).

This would be a "snip" or a "snippock" ['snIpIk] in Scots, "-ock" being a
common diminutive ending.

I can't seem to reconcile myself with the idea of "morn" meaning "morning"
in Scots. Rather, "morn" corresponds to the English "morrow" and "the morn"
means "tomorrow", but for "morning" we say "mornin". While I imagine that
"morn" and "morning" are derived from the same root, I think that "the
morn's mornin" is the usual Scots for "tomorrow morning", and that the
phrase "the morn's morn" is a back-formation inspired by the pleasant
repetition.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org

----------

From: Henry Baron [baro at calvin.edu]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 28.OCT.1999 (02) [E/F/LS]

Henno Brandsma wrote:
Just a short comment: In westerlauwer Frisian I would say
_moarntemoarne_ [mo. at nt@mwan@], probably an old dative in
the end: te + moarn + e (old case ending).
So, as you see, in WF _moarn_ is also used as both _morning_
and _tomorrow_

What do other Frisian speakers on the list use for "tomorrow morning"?

  Where I come from (de Wa^lden), I learned to say "moarn moarne"
[mo.in mwanne] and "moarnier."

-henry