LL-L: "Literature" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 11.SEP.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 17:59:58 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: Literature

I need to cite the following fragment of a ballad by Sir Robert Ayton:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never thought upon,
The flames of love extinguished,
And freely past and gone?
Is thy kind heart now grown so cold
In that loving breast of thine,
That thou canst never once reflect
On old-long-syne?

Unfortunately I can't seem to find either the full text or even the
title of
the ballad, either in libraries or on the Web - my bookshop is also
having
difficulties locating a copy of Ayton's works, even though it's listed
as in
stock!

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me the name of this ballad for my
citation - the full text would be a bonus!

Also, is the above a good rendering, do you think? Would Ayton's
original
have been more Scots in its spelling, or did he really use both "auld"
and
"old" in one breath like this?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org