LL-L: "Literature" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 12.SEP.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 19:08:21 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Margaret [oneko at mindspring.com]
Subject: Literature

Sandy wrote

>I need to cite the following fragment of a ballad by Sir Robert Ayton:
>I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me the name of this ballad for my
>citation - the full text would be a bonus!

I've not been able to turn up the ballad either, but perhaps this
will get you a wee bit closer:

It was apparently published in Edinburgh ca. 1706-11 by Jas. Watson
in his _Choice Collection of Comic and Serious Scots Poems_

The collection was apparently reprinted by the Edinburgh Scottish
Texts folk in 1977, and by Aberdeen Scottish Texts ca. 1991, because
a copy of vol. 2 of the latter is currently for sale in the OOP
pool.

And a copy of the original is lodged in the Fisher Rare Book Library
at U. Toronto:  fisher_library at library.utoronto.ca

Of course, I expect you probably had all that already.

Margaret

 * Please submit contributions to
<lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.