LL-L: "Scots" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 12.SEP.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 19:14:11 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: OleStig Andersen [osa at inform-bbs.dk]
Subject: Q: Suppression of Scots

Dear Lowlanders

A question

How was (is?) Scots suppressed? In concrete detail? I have been told, eg,
that a man was sentenced for answering "Ay" in court in stead of "Yes".
Can that be true? It is alleged to have happened less than 20 years ago.
 In which ways did (do) schools, parents, playmates, workplaces,
employers, universities, authorities, courts, lairds, place-names,
statistics, etc dis- or encourage Scots.?
(And Gaelic, too, though I realize that Gaelic is not quite a Lowlands
language).
 Bad jokes? Derogative mimicry of pronunciation and choice of words?
 Any online ressources on these issues?

An explanation

I am a radio journalist working for the Danish equivalent of BBC. I have
subscribed to Lowlands-L since it began.

I ask these questions, finalizing the preparation of a one hour
documentary about "Skotske Sprog", to be transmitted Oct 5th. The
documentary will be split between Scots and Gaelic, about half an hour
each, exemplifyng two utterly different situations for two endangered
languages in one and the same rather small country.

I spent two and a half months in Scotland researching this and other
Scottish issues, and made a number of interviews, greatly helped by the
before leaving Copenhagen. Thank you all for the help, especially Steve
Murdoch and Colin Wilson, who provided me with most useful contacts and
information.

Until now I have produced 17 pieces about Scotland in Danish Radio.
"Skotske Sprog" will be nr 18.

Mange hilsner

Ole Stig Andersen
osa at inform-bbs.dk  AND  oss at dr.dk
phone +45 3534 3845
answering machine +45 3325 3494

Maybe this query is of general interest to the Lists participants?

Ole