LL-L: "Ogam & Occam" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 13.SEP.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 17:49:29 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Christian Chiarcos [myrddin at cs.tu-berlin.de]
Subject: L-L: "Ogam & Occam" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 12.SEP.1999 (03)

> > From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
> Subject: Ogam and Occam
>
> In "Het Belang van Limburg" of Sept. 9 there was an article about the "Ogam"
> language, apparently originated from Dacia, ... or Shinar, or ..., bur once
> spoken, and written, in Ireland. Is there anything "less speculative" and
> "more scientific" written about this language? Does it share a similar lack
> of certainty with the Pict language.
>
> The name is somehow similar to a procedural computer language ("procedural"
> is generally used as opposite to "object oriented" when classifying computer
> languages) "Occam", or rather "Occam_2", that we once used for programming
> transputers (parallel computers) of CSA (Computer System Architects, Provo,
> Utah).
>
> Thanks for any feed-back.
> Roger

hi Roger,

although this has _nothing_ to do with lowland languages, a short reply:
ogam was an original Irish kind of script, the oldest examples of Irish
were written with it, so the name is used for the pre-Christian Irish
tongue, too.
after the Gaelic invasion in Scotland, the native caledonians used it, too. This
is
usually called _Pictish_.

quite good examples are given under

http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/ogam/

The Dacian origin seems to be a mistake, there once lived Celts, too, but there
was no close connection to Ogam Irish.

greetings,
christian